Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Istanbul. You are shiny like sunny!

Istanbul was strange. I was forever being regarded as somewhat of a freak by the Turkish people. Some may remember me regaling the story of being stared at for half an hour or so by 20 odd Laotians in Loas. Well in Istanbul there weren't any long unbroken stares, but a lot of double takes, short unbroken stares and at one point a photo session with headdressed turkish schoolgirls. Seems like spiky, messy hair is a rarity in Istanbul. Like the use of deodorant. Funny that, because they have public baths to keep clean. Why not a quick spray with a masking scent... I don't really know.

Oh and the turkish bath, the Hamam, let me tell you being slapped, stretched and lathered up by a semi naked moustachioed man is a lot more funn that it sounds. Just don't say your from Sydney or Australia. They slap you with greater force if you do. Unless you are into that. This is Anna, Kathrin, me and Richard after a Hamam and into the waterpipe! Once again, excuse the hair.

Oh i found out the hard way that the Blue Mosque and the Haghia Sofia are different buuldings. Because of ignorance (i have this in spades), I wandered the streets at 4:30am in all the wrong places. Cause my directions were based on the Blue Mosque and not the Haghia Sofia.

This rabbit Nicole is holding told me my fortune. Basically said i don't look after my health because I abuse various substances. I've now appointed that rabbit my financial, personal and spiritual advisor. I am currently being investigated by the RSPCA for having relations with rodents. The rabbit is telling me to plead not guilty.

This is the Cistern... Built to supply water to the Sultans palace, but instead it is now home to the worlds fattest goldfish. Fascinating history... if i could remember it. Truth is, i spent most of my time in Istanbul out every night with the various people staying at the hostel. And most of the days aimlessly wandering the streets patting stray cats and scratching my bed bug bites. I was on such a mission to find a good kebab meal. Alas twas not to be found. That turkish place up near Shoreditch is still the best.

Met alot of great people in Istanbul. You know who you are! And had plenty of wacky Turkish culture. Waterpipes/sheeshas, Garbage Island, Fish sandwiches, Ashtray flavoured Homous, free chocolate, Jack Johnson, Ramadan, Hamams. Tres cool. Bit of a different trip for me. Hardly any sight seeing and alot of just cruising. I could get used to it. And thats all for now...

No comments: